[permaculture] Re: Looking for arracacha & melloco

L.SantoyoDesigns santoyo at earthflow.com
Fri Mar 28 13:54:26 EST 2003

Kieth, Sharon, Steve & All, thanks for the info...

I'm especially looking for Arracacha and Melloco to add to my
collection... I first wanted to check to see if someone on this list
could supply me...

I too got Oca and Mashua from Alan Kapular.  As you would expect,
they did very well in California's cold central coast foggy summers.
(all our Andean Crops are doing well here)

The Oca yielded at least 10X what we planted...  don't mound them up
too early or too much, some of ours rotted before tubers set.  They
set the tubers late fall and we harvested colorful tubers in early
winter... The ones we didn't save for planting we ate in one
Celebratory Meal... Delicious!  I start some early in the ground and
some in pots in the greenhouse and will plant those mid summer, in
the ground, as big plants for larger tubers... we'll see.

Next year, if you can wait, we will have enough Oca and Mashua, as
well as, Yacon and Achira for sale...

Larry Santoyo
the Learning Center of Natural Design
San Luis Obispo County, Calif.