[permaculture] Creosote

Claude Genest genest at together.net
Fri Mar 28 09:29:57 EST 2003

I had the same question last year on this list and was told essentially
not to worry about it too much....
The creosote logs I had were over a hunfred years old ( most railroad
ties will be old) and so most of the leaching is long gone. Also, you
could leave the ties out in the sun for a season and finally, you could
grow cover crops near the ties for a year ot two to suck up any
residual yucchiness. Finally, you could always grow
perennials/companion plants nearer the ties and leave your more
delicate food plants furhter away from them...

On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 11:04 PM, BK wrote:

> Hiya.
>
> Any more info on creosote? How bad is it? Would anyone dare touch food
> grown
> near it?
> I knew it wasn't great stuff, but there were quite a few laying around
> with
> little else to use for an edge.
>
> Should I rip em out and find something better? High priority/low
> priority?
>
> Cheers,
> Bear

Best Regards,
Claude William Genest

www.greenmountainpermaculture.com
Green Mountain Permaculture: Solutions, Sustenance, Sustainability

"What Permaculturalists are doing is the most important work being done
on the planet."
David Suzuki

"The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a
comfortable living from a small piece of land."
Abraham Lincoln

"Clever men solve problems, wise men avoid them."
  Albert Einstein

Listen up !  http://www.democracynow.org/