[permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 2, Issue 36

BK lildragon at saber.net
Thu Mar 27 01:05:38 EST 2003

Heya folks,
Now that we seem to be on a role:
Penny Livingston (www.permacultureinstitute.com) has essentialy made large
brush piles and then planted tubers in there such as potatoes and mashua. I
was helping harvest the mashua that had grown in a few year old pile, and
god, that soil was wonderful. Rich, black, easy to work, slow high carbon
compost. This was in coastal California, so it wouldn't work in the dry
regions. For those who are wondering, mashua is an Andean tuber, nastursium
relative, with very peppery tubers, cool plant. I took a little of the
harvest and am starting some here.

That request for class names lead me to something a bit different: Carbon
coppicing (think carbon copying)-v-The process of repeatly harvesting growth
from trees to be used as a carbon source.

And lastly a little question, I saw a company selling "Good King Henry" with
a minimal description, is that the edible relative of plantain/White Man's
Footsteps/snakeweed?

Cheers,
Bear K