[permaculture] Hierarchies and certification..

Russ Grayson pacedge at magna.com.au
Tue Jul 8 23:09:47 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 10:58  AM, John Schinnerer wrote:
> Aloha,
> am not interested in creating a 'profession', *as we currently live
> them*, of PC.

Agreed. People here have found, though, that they need to create a
livelihood from permaculture if they want to continue teaching. If
people cannot make use of permaculture as part of their livelihood or
in a professional sense, then it forever remains a hobby on the fringes
of life.

My understanding is that Bill never planned for permaculture to become
a profession or for people to make a living from it (yet Bill seems to
have managed that quite well). But the realities of teaching
permaculture, the time and resources put into establishing the
infrastructure and developing the course, are of a scale and take so
much time that teachers have to view their work as a major activity.

> If I don't know and work with someone to a certain extent, I will not
> be
> willing to 'certify' anything about them, and I would be dubious of
> those
> who would or who were so certified.

The point of an accredited course, so the thinking goes, is to gain
access to professional designers (landscape etc) who do not receive
credits for attending non-accredited courses. It may also provide
access to permaculture to people who are presently denied access to
PDCs because they cannot afford the cost and by making training
accessible through employment training and similar schemes.

> If I want to know more personally those who grow my food, I am
> unlikely to want them to be certified by some national organization
> run by people perhaps neither of us have seen or met, let
> alone gotten to know.

Yet national certification supports the development of a growing
organic food market in this country. The NASAA (National Association
Sustainable Agriculture Australia), Biofarm (a biodynamic certifier)
and OHGA (Organic Herb Growers Australia, which also certifies
vegetables and fruit) logos provide quality assurance to buyers.

...Russ Grayson