[permaculture] clearing land

Rick Valley bamboogrove at cmug.com
Tue Jan 28 11:13:57 EST 2003

> From: Claude Genest <genest at together.net>

> Depends on what you want to do ?
AS EVER!
> Alder, I believe, is a nitrogen fixer..... PErhaps you might consider some
> manner of guild around the alders ? - Also, the mere presence of the alders in
> such abundance suggests to me that yours is recovering, regenerating land that
> was likely abused and depleted in the not so distant past.
I WAS GETTING AT THIS;
IN MY EXPERIENCE WITH RED ALDER, THE SHADE UNDERNEATH IS EXTREME. BUT ALLEY
CROPPING & INTER CROPPING WORKS- REALIZING YOU'LL BE RUNNING INTERFERENCE
FOR YOUR CROPS, CONTINUALLY THINNING AND/OR PRUNING- TOTALLY POSSIBLE WITH
THE SIZE MENTIONED.
I *HAVEN'T* EVER TRIED ROW CROPPING ON FRESHLY CUT ALDER STUMPS, BUT YOU
*MIGHT* BE ABLE TO DISC OVER LITTLE GUYS LIKE HE MENTIONS. THEY'LL ROT
QUICKLY UNLESS COPPICED WHEN DORMANT.
-RICK