[permaculture] Re: Basketry and Nurse Plants

Scott Pittman pci at permaculture-inst.org
Sun Apr 20 13:37:26 EDT 2003

Ute, you might think about Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) as a nurse
plant, it has great fruit (highest in anti oxidants and high in vit. C),
birds don't like the fruit so it doesn't have the rampancy of Elaeagnus,
and it's nitrogen fixing.  The fruit makes a very nutricious drink and good
jams and jellies (high in pectin).  It may be that Elaeagnus is not as
rampant in Europe, I saw miles of hedgerows on a train trip across central
Russia with no sign that it was taking over the surrounding landscape.

I am a wantabe basket maker, I collect them from around the world, and
admire the multiple uses that different cultures have found for them and
the different designs to accomplish different tasks.  In the not too
distant past there was a very strong basket making culture in the U.S.  I
still find apple picking baskets at flea markets.  I also am interested in
growing the different colored and textured willows for sale to the art
basket and sculpture market.  One of these days I will slow down enough to
do basketry - I look at it as a form of meditation or a community building
enterprise.  While travelling with Bill Mollison in Thailand I visited a
Thai village that had a platform built above the rice patties where 12 or
15 villagers gathered and prepared and wove the most exquisite bamboo
baskets.  There was a place for all ages from infants too the infirm on
that platform.  It was like an opium dream sitting on that platform
listening to the quiet conversations and laughter and overlook the beauty
of the patties greenly reflecting the clouds overhead.

Scott