[permaculture] poultry stuff

Mark mpludwig at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 16 13:44:17 EDT 2002

At 11:44 PM 9/14/02 +0100, you wrote:
>Dear all,
>I keep noticing the "Poultry Research Lab" in Mark's signature.
>Mark, does the lab engage in anything that could fall into the organic
>and/or Pc category?
>
>Slán,
>Ute

Just to be clear, I just run the building and keep the birds alive, i don't
decide what gets studied.  We are working on substituting anti bodies for
anti biotics in meat chicken production.  I think the method we are
developing could be used in any system and I am advocating we look at ways
to simplify our methods for use in less developed countrys etc.  We are
also supporting other groups around campus, including a plan to hatch some
eggs from Spain in order to evaluate a continental meat breed in a pasture
system.  This is for the Center for Integrated Ag Systems here on
campus.  This is really UWs center for organic and sustainable ag.  I may
get one of our guys looking at lipid oxidation (rancidity)  in meat from
birds fed biologically grown feed vs. conventional, we'll see where that
goes.  Be nice to do more of course; may look for such gigs of I decide to
flee my increasingly insane nation, but I have yet to give up to the
bastards...stay tuned....