[permaculture] Where/How to start

Margaret L Wilson booldawgs at cavenet.com
Mon Oct 28 16:00:13 EST 2002

You do have a point about the different animals taking more time.  I
brought them with me when I moved. I didn't move here and start adding
animals. I  look at them as balancing my grazing program, at least my
planned program.  I just got a predator fencing setup with a solar powered
charger so I will be able to control graze without to much of a threat from
predators soon.  I am a serious lurker on the grazer's list. They are all
heritage breeds that fit in with my restoration plan.
They do a pretty good job of eating all of the hay.  The sheep eat the
smallest leaves, the cows get the next and the leftovers are cleaned up by
the equines.  The chickens dig through the manure and scatter it.  The
sheep are working hard on the blackberries. The primitive breeds are good
at browsing.
The pigs are going in the freezer soon but they have already dug up some
pretty compacted ground in the old orchard.  We just got a couple of apples
and pears off of each tree.  I have been pasturing and feeding there a lot
to improve the soil.  The trees have been here since the 1930s.  They
haven't been pruned in years and are really a mess.

My main point to all of this is to feed my family, extended also, healthful
food.  My garden produced very well on such short notice.  We had green
beans, peppers, tomatoes, squash, sunflower seeds, cabbage, cauliflower and
a few potatoes. My winter garden is small but hanging in with lettuce and
cole crops.  I have 9 butcher lambs and 4 pigs almost ready to harvest, a
cow that I sometimes milk and fresh eggs.
Margaret