[permaculture] Heavy metal issues

mangodance bmn at iglou.com
Thu Oct 3 14:00:48 EDT 2002

Rick Valley wrote:
> It's a very complex subject,
> each element is unique, and popular misconceptions abound. One of the most
> common in Pc circles is that the most common and deadly pollution in an
> urban/suberban lot will be from the street, when frequently if there's lead
> present in dangerous levels, it's coming from housepaint.
> see attached forward of interest

are you limiting this to certain elements and certain conditions?  If
you're speaking broadly I can assure you that urban runoff being a large
(if not largest) factor in pollutant loads in waterways is fact.  I've
been working in stream systems for almost 20 years...the last 14 of
which in a largely urbanized county.  It is complex, but I can't say it
would be a misconception that the issue of runoff pollutant loads isn't
a huge problem.