[permaculture] The Loss of Our Trees

Mark mpludwig at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 1 13:41:14 EDT 2002

At the risk of being drawn into repeating our previous thread on this
subject, I find this post, while interesting, peripheral to the current
tension between those who would manage for grass and those who would manage
for trees.  Obviously they both have value, but a strong case can be made
in grazing situations to keep trees very limited.  Trees tend to attract
animals into the shade in the hot parts of the day, limiting their grazing
time and concentrating manure, often killing the trees.  The are also a
pain for mowing and haying operations.  Ever have to extract green sticks
from the throat of a round baler?   There certainly is a place for some
trees in some grazing situations, but a real mosaic is a pretty hard
sell.  I can see the value of certain kinds of brush and herbs, elderberry,
bramble fruit, monarda etc to allow self medicating by animals, but for the
most part this is best kept to edges of fields to allow machine
operations.  Your observation of some grasses thriving in a wooded mosaic
makes sense to me.  Species like Elamys virginicus and even common orchard
grass can tolerate significant shade, and in fact most species can only use
60%-80% or so of the sunlight that hits them on a given day.  I would guess
that total grass bio mass production will be lower under the competition of
trees, though I suppose there may be better total productivity if the tree
yields a good crop or build soil also.  I'll only add one more thing here,
the vast majority of land in the US we are most likely to have an impact on
are in private hands.  Half of that has to pay it's way agriculturally or
in forestry.  When we try to influence the way this land is treated the
economics have to work.  There isn't that strong a competitor these days;
the mainstream farm economy sucks.  But the flip side of this is that most
farms cannot afford to make radical changes without a significant chance of
improving their economic yield.  This is a conservative culture in general;
we need to keep this in mind when we propose changes in practices.   This
post is a little ramblly, hope I'm being clear.
Mark