Bind weed

PINC pinc at svn.net
Fri Aug 18 12:03:41 EDT 2000

I haven't been keeping up with the bindweed conversation as it no longer is
much of a problem for me. Since the conversation is still happening, I
thought I would share how I resolved the bindweed issue on my ¾ acre garden.

Bindweed came when I imported mushroom compost into my yard (before I knew
about permaculture) and yes it was for a dastardly lawn!!!!!! (which has
since been mulched). It had spread through out my entire garden.  I sheet
mulched it with cardboard and newspaper in the spring. By the time it
emerges mid summer, most of the oomph is taken out of it and it becomes a
nice green ground cover and doesn't have enough energy to twine up the
plants. Other places it has been shaded out. I have never seen it grow
vigorously under plants like comfrey and rhubarb.  It also prefers compacted
soil (according to an article I read about it). Once the soil is cushy and
soft, it is easy to pull. Digging & cultivating also propagates it. We don’
t' dig we only fork which lifts the roots out better. I'm sure once it's
there it will always be there but permaculture gardening methods seem to
minimize maintenance and I don't consider it a "problem" any more. I also
feed it to my chickens and they seem to like it. Geese will also eat it.
Good luck!

Penny