raised bed organic gardening

Permacltur at aol.com Permacltur at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 12:38:08 EDT 1999

Larry:
	Why are excessively expensive English digging tools more traditional
than a fire-hardened pointed stick or a mattock hoe?   I thought permaculture
was a worldwide thing, and not simply an extension of Anglo-Saxon tradition.
:-)

	I have raised beds but I never manage anything only one way.   I use
a two digging implements in raised beds.  I move soil with a $3 shovel from a
discount place and I loosen soil and cut small roots with a flat-blade spade
that is likely older than most people on this list and the price of which I
do not recall.  It is not English.   I bought it when I was 17 for my
landscape gardening business.  I'm now 60.  Doubtless it won't hold up as
well as an expensive, mortgage-your-house-to-buy English model, but I'll limp
along with it.

	Try John Jeavons.   He has perfected what you are talking about.

Dan Hemenway

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: london at metalab.unc.edu