[pchealth] Traditional Scottish Recipes - Scottish Culture

venaurafarm venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 22 21:40:27 EST 2012

On 12/22/2012 11:05 AM, Frances and David wrote:
> Irish moss is a thickening agent.  It gets treated in a variety of ways
> after harvesting from the sea.
> Carrageenan is derived from it.
> Kelp is highly nutritious and you've probably seen it in plant food.
> I found a source for sea spaghetti, if you're interested. It is lovely in
> soups, I have found.

Yes, let me know the source, if you will. I Googled it and found some
high dollar stuff at Amazon, more weight in the packaging than it the
product.

I can get dried kelp or kombu from the Asian store where I shop. I
suppose I could soak it and slice it into thin strips or do something
with it to make bite size pieces that would blend with the salad below.
This salad sounded so good.

> Avocado and Sea Spaghetti Salad Recipe from Britain
> Origin: Britain
> Period: Modern
> This is a modern British recipe for a classic starter of a salad made
> from a blend of avocado, carrots and currants in a sea spaghetti base
> dressed with basil and olive oil.

Here's another one from the Scottish site that was lucky enough to find:
This is just amazing as is the previous.

http://www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_arran.htm

     Traditional Scottish Recipes
     - Arran Potato Salad

     Although Ayrshire is traditionally the county where the best
potatoes are grown, Arran Chief is a particularly good, waxy variety,
ideal for salads. Of course, you can use any available variety which
produces a firm, waxy texture when cooked.

         Ingredients:
         10 waxy potatoes, diced
         4 ounces (100g) shelled fresh peas (or frozen peas)
         4 ounces cooked beetroot (red beets) diced
         Salt and freshly ground black pepper
         Two teaspoons chopped onion
         One teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
         Four tablespoons (60ml) salad dressing or salad cream
         Fresh parsley to garnish

         Method:
         Boil the potatoes in salted water for ten minutes or until
tender. Drain and pat dry. Cook the peas separately for about five
minutes or until tender and then drain.
         While the vegetables are still warm, mix together and stir in
the chopped parsley and onion and season with salt and pepper to taste.
         Fold in the salad dressing (or salad cream) to moisten, and
garnish with sprigs of fresh parsley.

     Return to the Index of Traditional Scottish Recipes

<>

I think I am going to have to eliminate most if not all meat from my
diet. I will continue to eat eggs and fish, canned or fresh. It is time
for a change. Substitution for protein will include the following:

grains
beans
seeds
nuts
fermented products such as miso and natto
soy tempeh and tofu

more, larger salads more often
bowls of cut up fruit more often

F:
Do you have salad dressing suggestions?

The default presently is:

red or white wine vinegar
black pepper
a custom mix of dried herbs I made up from bulk ingredients - I use this
liberally
natural coarse salt
oilve oil

I am now eating ripe Meyer Lemons from my tree, now indoors for the Winter!

LL