[nafex] mulching trees

Jay Cutts orders at cuttsreviews.com
Wed May 27 17:17:07 EDT 2015

Thanks for the suggestion. We have plenty of  pine needles here and they
do break down, mostly mechanically, not biologically. They result in a
deep layer of organic matter under the trees but that layer is very dry
and not biologically very active.

The pine needles break down because they're small. Wood chips are too
big and don't do anything. Except immediately after a rain (which
happens only a handful of times a year) they are bone dry. Your
suggestion of wetting them down is nice but would last about a day.

I also personally find wood chips a real pain to work around. They make
weeding difficult (and yes the grasses and other weeds grow up right
through them) and are uncomfortable to kneel on when working around the
tree.

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts