[nafex] mulching trees

fuwa fuwa usagi fuwafuwausagi at muchomail.com
Wed May 27 01:06:14 EDT 2015

My suggestion, run a intermediate term test.  Mark off a 10x10 area, wet it down and then add a minimum of 2ft of wood chips and let it sit for a year...then dig a test whole in it and see what has happened.  If it has decayed a bit and you have worms and insect activity, as I suspect, add enough mulch to bring it back up to st least 2 ft, and check it again a year later.

The key is, the sheer mass of the wood chips will likely create a micro environment that promotes decay.   Even in the arid areas of the Gila wilderness there is substantial decay underneath 2 ft of pine needles.

This will give you an idea what is truly possible in your area, rather then speculation.

2-3 years to run a test is nothing in the greater scheme of things.

tfb