[nafex] juneberries

Richard murphman108 at msn.com
Fri May 23 16:52:55 EDT 2014

Juneberries, Service berries, Saskatoons, Shadbush, Shadblow, etc......

I have a lot of experience with Amelanchier Alnifolia. 'Amelanchier' is Gaul language for tiny apple, and Alnifolia means 'leaves like an Alder'. The resident expert, in North America is Dr. Richard St. Pierre at the U. of Saskatchewan. I bought his book years ago before it became free on line.
             The biggest mistake I made was to buy 1000 plants before testing them in zone 4 Maine. Most struggled; some died. There is too much to tell in this email..... My advice is to buy 3 plants each of the cultivars that you fancy. Grow them out, and eat the fruit. THEN decide if you need 1000 of them. BTW, they are very easy to grow from root cuttings or seeds. I did a bunch!
              One other interesting factoid; Amelanchier Alnifolia seeds are actually edible! That's why the indians used them for pemmican. The nutritional info for this fruit contains a significant amount of protein. Chew the seeds. Not sure if A. Canadensis has this feature.

It's beer o'clock.
Bye
Murph