[nafex] update on Carmine Jewel Cherry

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sun May 18 14:52:52 EDT 2014

In spring of 2011 I bought a Carmine Jewel cherry tree. It was one of those situations where I paid a lot more for shipping than for the plant, so I actually bought 3, and gave 2 to friends. The friend with really full sun said his bloomed a little last year, but I don't think he got fruit. (If he did, he didn't pick it, because he's a somewhat observant Jew, and he didn't want to eat fruit from the first year.)

The year, all three of them bloomed. I was surprised that it bloomed after the leaves emerged. I expect prunus to finish blossoming before opening the leaves. The one in full sun bloomed profusely, and the other two bloomed substantially. I got about 20 clusters of blossoms. My tree is about 5' high, as is the other smaller one. The one in full sun is 6' high. I was shocked to see that basically every blossom seems to have set fruit. The tree is covered with fat swollen ovaries. I guess I have to figure out what to do about birds this year.

Ginda Fisher
eastern MA, zone 6