[nafex] Keeping apples

sherwin sherwindu at att.net
Thu Feb 20 13:34:15 EST 2014

Steve,

I posted this before, but it seems to have been overlooked.

There is a big difference between storing in a modern auto
defrosting refrigerator and the older style types.  The modern
ones will suck the moisture out of the fruit while keeping it
automatically frost free.  The older and less expensive refrigerators
are not frost free and so do not remove the moisture.  They are
a bit of pain to be defrosted when it gets too thick with ice.

In addition to my modern defrost type, I have a second older style
frig for keeping fruit.  By  the way, I would advise people not to
keep their scion in the same frig as their fruit as the ethylene gas
will take them out of dormancy.  The zip lock bags I use are just
another layer of protection to hold the moisture in.  Some varieties
will shrivel up quicker than others, so they should be processed with
higher priority.

                       Hope this helps,

                           Sherwin Dubren