[nafex] interstem puzzle

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Thu Nov 21 20:49:35 EST 2013

That sounds like an excellent idea to me. I've never heard of that
before though. Probably better than summer pruning because summer
pruning is one of those never ending jobs that you have to keep up with
every year. (And not as much fun.)
Some thoughts:
1. You would want to choose your donor bark from something that you know
works as an interstem. I think any dwarfing rootstock would be dwarfing
as an interstem. I wouldn't know how dwarfing any of them would be
compared to when used for the roots. Maybe it doesn't matter.
2. This bark interstem might not be very dwarfing the first year or two
or more. Nutrients from the roots flow upward in the wood. You would
still have the original wood. As that original wood ages and changes
from sap wood to heart wood, then it might be more dwarfing.
3. When you do this graft, what if cambium remains on the wood? Would
the original cambium keep making non dwarfing wood? Would that be OK
because the dwarfing bark would slow nutrient transportation to the
roots and still result in dwarfing? Could remaining cambium on the wood
out grow the new cambium from the graft and actually convert the bark
back to normal? Maybe you should scrape the wood to remove all old
cambium. Maybe you should even let it dry out for a day before you
collect and insert the donor bark.

Anyway, that's what I would be thinking about. Sounds like a fun
experiment. I wish I had a tree or two to experiment on like that.

Steve in the Adirondacks