[nafex] Beach plums

John S swim_at_svc at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 11 04:28:41 EDT 2013

Raintree Nursery advertised a red selection, apparently grafted, in their spring catalog this year if I remember correctly.  I was not able to get one this year and it does not appear to be in the online catalog at the moment.  I'm not sure if it is still available.

I'm growing about a dozen or more plants, about half from Hartman's and half from Oikos, as well as many seedlings.  So far, quality of fruit has ranged widely, but Oikos's Ecos variety has the best size with good taste.  I've been working for a few years now to isolate a yellow version, but so far unsuccessful though early in the effort.  Ken at Oikos has been very helpful in that effort.  He has a few plants that produce yellow fruit and has supplied some seed which I am growing out.  The seedlings are demonstrating a range of pigment in leaf and stem which suggests I might have some lighter colored fruiting plants coming along.