[nafex] Winter grafting Asian persimmon

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Mon Dec 23 08:16:30 EST 2013

In a message dated 12/22/2013 11:23:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
list at ginda.us writes:

> Didn't the Romans protect their grafts with a cow patty?  I don't know if
> that's something you have available, but it strikes me as a method of
> wrapping a graft that might keep it moist for a long period. You'd presumably
> have to affix the graft with twine or tape to hold it in place, too,
> underneath the manure.

Just can't resist this: Sounds like bull carp!   :-)

Yes, I've read that was a method used in grafting. But having spent may
years walking among pasture patties I can witness that they dry out fairly
fast. As a young boy on the farm, more than once a fresh patty oozed between my
toes when accidentally stepping in it.

If an agent is used to help keep the scion moist it still should be
wrapped. If you wish, I'd suggest moist sphagnum moss. Less messy on the fingers
and also slightly acidic which will retard mold which could happen.

After giving, "adding a moisture holding agent" some thought I don't think
I would. You could soak the scion stick in water for an hour or so to
increase the bark moisture content, dry with a paper towel, cut and insert in the
understock. Then warp with the Parafilm. Parafilm does block moisture
evaporation, it is used in labs for that purpose. If you don't have access to
Parafilm, about $25/roll I can send you a few feet. It is God's gift to the
grafter.

Jerry