[nafex] Saskatoons (A. alnifolia) varieties for the warmer regions

Idell Weydemeyer iwgarden at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 23 12:11:50 EST 2012

Here in N. Californian, Timm and Success from  Bear Creek have performed
exceptionally well since the beginning- -they fruited heavy when they were
only  5" (inches) high. They are now (after about 20 or more years) about
3-4 feet tall (watered only once every three weeks and a small amount at
that). The other one that is successful here is Jenibelle. I have had some
other named varieties --they come small and died within a year.  I did find
one called Success (forgot who I ordered it from) and it has done ok-- but
is was much taller  initially than the Bear creek ones and does not produce
nearly as many berries. The native ones to here, A. alnifolia and A.
untahensis both flower much later in my garden (by as much as a  month or
more) and have very few berries much later. They have grown taller -up to
over 6 ' in just a few years and are still growing-- the leaves are a blue
green color.

The wild serviceberries in NW Montana mountains  in our yard get a lot of
rust as do some in the wild.

Idell Weydemeyr