[nafex] Prince Albert of Prussia scions?

david liezen chandos49 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 7 12:36:59 EST 2012

Jim,

Aren't you the source of the post a couple months ago asking if anyone had experience in the upper Midwest (not quite the phrase you used) in husbanding a list of older European apples?
I recognized Edelborsdorfer, which showed up in a previous reading of The Book of Apples, (the RHS publication) and looked into it. That precipitated an inquiry into others, via the excellent paper on recent apple inbreeding which you mentioned. I wonder if Cummins or the Cornell/Geneva research people could obtain scion wood of PAvP? I will ask.

BTW, because of your e-mail, I hope to obtain and graft Edelbosrdorfer, Roter Eiserapfel and Glockenapfel this next season. Red Iron and Bell date back to 1500 or so, and Borsdorf Noble (translated) appears to date back no less than 1175! I play in Renaissance Faires and hope to bring fruit that our ancestors enjoyed to the masses.
To that end, I already have (by the grace of God) Lady/Christmas/Pomme d'Api growing out back. Perhaps I can also get Gray (Pomme Grise, before 1600?) and Wise (Court Pendu Plat, circa 450 AD and contemporary of Lady?)

If Prince Albert of Prussia comes to our shores and I learn of it, you shall hear from me. Not all the apples I keep date so far back. Other considerations also apply.
Yours for a fruitful year,

Dave Liezen, Spokane, WA z6