[nafex] how to tell if apples are ripe?

david liezen chandos49 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 26 19:57:03 EDT 2012

Ginda,

Two things will determine ripeness in absence of a spectrameter (I got one used for $35; easy to test with):
1) Pick one, cut it horizontally and check seeds. If they are all brown it is ripe.
2) Taste it (seems obvious, but I've been surprised).
If childhood memory serves, Jonathan is typically somewhat early in the apple season. Perhaps this is your first chance to get 'em really ripe, in which case they might be ready in a week or two.

Squirrels get about a third of my Liberty apples in past years, but so far this year seem to leave it alone. Perhaps the road crew tearing up the street and sewer have put them off their stride.
Next year, a Kania trap.

Dave Liezen, E. WA, z6, where the streak of 90s finally broke Aug. 21