[NAFEX] Blight in Hardy Kiwi?

David Jackson dave at kiwiberry.com
Tue May 31 23:49:06 EDT 2011

Hi Alexis.

For fourteen years we entertained over 500 Red Princess (Ken's Reds), and
literally banked the farm on them.  And yes, we did see the same problem you
are experiencing that occurred in a single plant.  Within three to four
years, it spread to the two adjacent vines on either side.  We dug out the
three vines and replaced them with a second backup vine we now call our
passion poppers.  We saw no more of the problem.

Red Princess (Ken's Reds) can become an A. arguta management nightmare with
sometimes a tri-annual, or more, production swing.

Also as the fruit ripens, especially after a rain, you will find it on the
ground as it will drop prematurely.

David just returned from a visit to the University of Gent in Belgium where
they call hardy kiwi - Kiwibes. They are experiencing similar problems with
the "red" cultivars.

Our advice would be to dig out the vine, and try a less finicky cultivar.

Hope this helps.

Dave & Holly
www.kiwiberry.com