[NAFEX] The folly of 4 in one trees

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Tue May 24 10:01:43 EDT 2011

    When I planted my first two apple trees, I thought, "I don't want a whole tree full of fruit all ripe at one time," so I grafted three additional different varieties on each tree.  The trees then held varieties with a succession of ripening times.  What happened then was something I probably should have predicted.  As the tree(s) grew, they pushed themselves away from each other.  If I hadn't propped them up with a crutch, some of them would be lying on the ground.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472