[NAFEX] Source for Apricot i.e. cv. 'Tom Cot' and root-stock question.

david liezen chandos49 at hotmail.com
Thu May 19 14:27:48 EDT 2011

A quick look at the rootstock page in Raintree catalog shows Lovell and Krymsk 1 rootstocks as suitable for zones 4-9. Quoting from top of page 40, "Apricots come from cold climates where they must bloom very quickly after their chilling requirements are met."
Since zone 4 is for average lows of -20 to -30F, I'd say Tomcot is worth trying, as the copy describing it in the Raintree catalog also states, "[Tomcot] will do well in much of the nation but not west of the Cascades."
I'd mulch it well come Fall.
Dave Liezen z6, Spokane