[NAFEX] if the buds break dormancy in the same year they are implanted

William McNam billmcnam at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 16:11:56 EDT 2011

Did the shoots wch grew out of the implanted buds survive the winter?

Often if the buds break dormancy in the same year they are implanted, the shoot growth they produce does not survive their first winter. The shoots grow too late into the fall, do not achieve sufficient caliper, nor go sufficienttly dormant to survive the winter.
Your timing was good.
If buds are cut too early from current year's growth, they may not be mature.
One can get around this by placing a containerized plant of the bud donar tree into a heated greenhouse --thereby inducing it to break dormancy and begin shoot growth several weeks earlier than it would otherwise do so outside.
This method can save one an entire year!