[NAFEX] Hardy Kiwi Male

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Mon May 9 12:36:54 EDT 2011

Ditto our experience, male arguta vines are wimps, finding multiple
ways to die.  I had one die to rot and another almost killed by a
gaggle of slugs.

We coddled ours, but once it got established did very well.

Lon (if I remember right) discussed grafting dormant male cuttings
onto current year growth female vines.  This affords male blooms
sooner in the kiwi arbor.  And the vine cuttings are not that hard to
root, so just as we mail order scionwood or other material, we can
exchange male kiwi vines to root or graft.

Large, old kiwi vines can be cut off at ground level and transplanted,
so if you know of a male someone no longer wants, can be moved to a
new location.

Again, the little boys are wimps.

Richard Moyer
SW VA
Picking strawberries, grafting pears last eve