[NAFEX] Robins and Evans Cherries/ beads as decoys

Erdman, James erdmanj at uwstout.edu
Fri Jul 29 09:42:17 EDT 2011

I finally tried this, this year, on my cherries.  I had been considering using beads,
but couldn't decide exactly what kind of beads to use, not sure of size, shape, or
color, but then I found a box of  a few hundred each of different colored beads
at a garage sale, cheap, and the assortment included some red ones, so I bought
them.  I had some copper wire that fit the hole in the beads and I flattened the
end of the piece of wire so the bead was stuck on the wire, then put them on the
tree with a couple of turns around the limb.  I installed about 20 per tree when the
cherries were about full size but hadn't turned color.  In the past I used netting
which snagged branches (inspite of a frame of PVC pipe designed to hold the
netting away from the  branches) and also deteriorated over the years.  This year
I had almost no bird damage, but did see robins and other pest birds in the area.
I should mention that I have put a few wren houses in the orchard too, with
the idea that the territorial wrens might keep other birds away.  So I cannot
prove it was beads or wrens or a combination or just luck, but I am certainly
going to do the bead thing again next year.

A question for Jim Fruth:  Do you take the beads off after cherry season, or
leave them on year around?  I was planning to remove them this fall, put them
back on next season.

I'll post some pictures on Facebook if I get time.

Jim Erdman, Menomonie, WI, an hour east of St Paul/Minneapolis

I keep forgetting to try this.  Do you use red beads that are the same
size  as cherries or are they a lot smaller?

~mIEKAL