[NAFEX] Smitten apple, new from New Zealand

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Thu Jul 14 20:24:35 EDT 2011

I bought this recently at a local Zehrs supermarket. High quality,
flavour better than supermarket Royal Galas and close to Tentation;
texture very crisp and juicy without being hard, closer to Macoun than
any other apple I recall. I think this one will do well. Shape fairly
round, colour red with bright yellow ground colour evident at stem
basin, attractive. I fear it will be some time before before Smitten is
available to home growers though.

See
<http://www.fruitnet.com/content.aspx?cid=7955>

At the same time I have to say that I'm not sure it has much if anything
to offer over the best current cultivars available to home growers, and
especially not over Cox Orange and its fellows. I don't know how it cooks.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada