[NAFEX] multiple figs, same hole

Steven Covacci filtertitle at aol.com
Fri Jul 8 17:18:09 EDT 2011

Miekal,

Well, not so much for the hardiness test, but I'd like to have multiple figs in the hole for the curiosity of it and to save space.
Will it work out?
Thanks,
Steve

------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 07:51:56 -0500
From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Multiple figs in the same hole - good idea?
To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>

Steve, there is multiple thread & photo documentation of which
varieties work the best in ground in Zone 6/7 on Figs4Fun. In fact
there are a number of folks from NJ on that forum with loads of
experiences. It's an inspiring resource & there are some true fig nuts
on there.

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/

~mIEKAL

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Steven Covacci <filtertitle at aol.com> wrote:
> Group:
>

> I was considering putting a few varieties of figs in the same hole: 4 to 6
varieties). ?I suspect that they would all fuse (inosculate) into a single
shrub-tree of various varieties, wherein the more vigorous varieties will
eventually do better then the others, unless pruned to avoid this; and if in
zone 6, eventually all of them will die to the ground and balance among the
varieties will for a while begin anew.

> IF this is a good idea, this may be a great way to determine different degrees
of cold-resistance among cultivars since, in this case, all cultivars will be in
approximately the same conditions, uniformly.

> I'm looking forward to what everyone who responds to this one will say.
>

> Steve; NJ 6b/7a

Subscribe, unsubscribe, change your user configuration or find out more about
the list here:
NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/

End of nafex Digest, Vol 102, Issue 8