[NAFEX] Will medlars experience long-term graft rejection on native hawthorn or Asian pear roostock?

Alexander Dragotin a_dragotin at yahoo.de
Fri Jul 8 05:19:21 EDT 2011

Some schoolbooks tell that medlar is compatibel with hawthorn as rootstock.
Years ago I tryed it. First year was everything in order. But in the second
years the medlar grow slowed down. May be the widespread hawthorn in my location
is a special one. Then I grafted first quince on the hawthorn rootstock and on
the quince I put the medlar. The gained medlar plants are rich fruiting many
years.

Quince grows and fruits well on hawthorn. And with quince intermediate peace
some pears cultivars would grow. And over the compatible pear  cultivars may be
grafted everyone other pear.

Wishing good luck,
Alex
USDA 6, Bavaria, Germany