[NAFEX] Zone 6 & Asian persimmon - lowest minimum temperature survived? Cultivar?

Robert Bruns r.fred.bruns at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 16:09:42 EST 2011

I had a Yamagaki that survived for eight years in central Indiana, zone 5b.
Temperatures got down to -10 or below during that period.  Yamagaki is a
male used for pollination, but it also sets some fruit.  The name means
"mountain persimmon", so it may come from a cold environment.  I got my
plant from Edible Landscaping, but they don't carry it anymore.  I moved
recenty and bought the last plant they had.

My impression is that winter survival depends on whether the plant goes
completely dormant before the weather gets really cold.  Other varieries
such as Saijo, Hira-Tanenashi, and Great Wall didn't survive for me.

Fred