[NAFEX] treatment of scions

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 12:11:08 EST 2011

In a message dated 2/25/2011 7:40:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
david.maxwell at dal.ca writes:

> It was suggested that the better way is to dip the ends in
> some sort of wax to "seal" them, and then store them dry. Will they dry
> out like this, and will
> the drying not kill the scions just as surely?   Any thoughts or advice?

I hip the ends in wax (my mix includes a little petroleum jelly to soften
it) then store if freezer zip lock bags as sandwich baggies leak moisture
slowly. Mold may indicate too much moisture. I wet the paper towel then squeeze
out all the water I can. Set the storage frig to the coldest temp. A little
frost doen't hurt. I'll start cutting in another week. The best place to
store scion wood is on the tree.

Jerry