[NAFEX] question about heartnuts..

Hector Black hblack1925 at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 10 09:06:12 EST 2011

Hello Amelia,
    Just one caution about heartnuts.  I had witches broom which started in
one tree with branches just above a thornless blackberry and spread to the
whole grove of 8 trees.  I don't know much about this disease or how it is
transmitted, (I suspect it is transmitted by sucking insects) but it
appeared to come from my blackberries to the heartnuts.  On the heartnuts I
got whole bunches of small branches growing out of the larger branch and an
almost complete stop in nut production.   I cut down the trees.  They
sprouted and the sprouts looked good for two or three years, vigorous and
healthy, but then the witches broom started infecting them again.  I noticed
it in one black walnut and cut it down.  Now I have no heartnut and no
witches broom.  The heartnuts were seedlings, not grafted, for what that's
worth.    Hector Black, zone 6 middle tn