[NAFEX] Jujube for SE

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 15:38:19 EST 2011

Betsy,
As in my last message, knowing where you are in NC makes a significant
difference in how jujubes will perform for you.
The two you mention bear well in N. Alabama, and could work for you.
AJ Bullard, in Mt. Olive NC, has been a longtime grower of jujubes, so
he could help if his conditions are similar to yours.  As can Michael
McConkey, in a cooler climate in the Blue Ridge of VA (also Zone 7, if
I recall right).

Please search this list archives for previous jujube discussions.  In
short, the jujubes I have been growing in NE TN bear from a few fruit
per year (Li, Lang and Sherwood) to a few thousand fruit per year
(selections from the Norris TVA dam near Knoxville, TN).  The latter
are available from Hidden Springs Nursery, Cookeville, TN.

So don't assume Tigertooth and Sugarcane will work for you, unless you
hear positive
experiences from someone with similar conditions to yours.

Richard Ashton, Nafex member who has written much on jujubes, believes
it the temps during bloom that affect fruit set, and perhaps
humidity?.  So jujubes that bear very well for him in Houston did very
poorly for me in NE TN.  And some (can't remember which) didn't work
for either of us, but did do well in drier California.

Richard Moyer
SW VA

Message: 5