[NAFEX] Mushrooms

Darel Snodgrass dareljudy at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 30 21:46:02 EDT 2011

I did plug spawn of shiitake several years ago, kit from Fungi Perfecti,
was after a big windstorm in the area so lots of free oak logs around.
Had about 10 3-foot logs, 8-12 in. diameter, as I recall.  We got
mushrooms starting in about 6 months, produced pretty regularly for
about 3 years, at which point the logs virtually disintegrated (still
find one sometimes in that corner of the yard). WAY more than we could
eat fresh, we dried a lot and gave a LOT away.

We're in the south (Memphis) so logs stayed pretty damp anyway (north
side of house in the shade), sprinkled them down about once a week, less
in spring, more in late summer.  If I was serious I would set up a
drip-irrigation/mist system on a timer, like in the garden.  I've seen
commercial systems with tractors/tanks - too much work for a household,
maybe cost-effective for commercial prodution.

One thing - here in the humid mid-south, our biggest pest was slugs;
they riddled the mushrooms.  My wife had a brilliant idea - we built
some platforms for the logs, and tacked surplus flattened copper
plumbing pipe around the bases - slugs won't crawl over copper.   Quick
steel -wool  scrubbing when it tarnished - worked well.

Like to try it on a larger basis sometime, now that I've got some woods
- if only I had some more time!

Darel