[NAFEX] tissue culture

Richard L. Wagner rewagner at centurytel.net
Fri Apr 29 19:23:06 EDT 2011

   Lat year I planted 50-plus assorted fruits tree (pear, plums,
apples, persimmons, peaches, cherries). All leaved out and looked okay.
THis spring about half did not leaf out and are dead though a dozen or
so are breaking from below the graft. It did not get that cold here.
Lowest temp was about +5F and even that was not on consecutive days.

Last winter was very dry. I never thought about needing to irrigate
dormant trees in the winter but is it possible that a lack of winter
moisture explains so many dead trees?

Richard Wagner
Thayer, MO USDA 6B+