[NAFEX] rooting Red Currants

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sun Apr 17 06:52:03 EDT 2011

How hard is it to root red currants?  Can I do it right now, with a plant that is just pushing buds?

I have a feral red currant that I got as a seedling in my uncle's back yard. I've had it for more than 20 years, now, and it is in decline. Also, I'd like to use that spot for a Carmine Jewel cherry, but I'd like to save part of the plant if I could.  I will try to transplant it, but that's dicey with an old ailing plant.  I wondered if I might also try to cut off some twigs and root them, and how to do that.

Thanks,
Ginda
Eastern MA, zone 6