[NAFEX] Rubarb

oowonbs at netscape.net oowonbs at netscape.net
Mon Apr 11 18:19:00 EDT 2011

I've had an easy time growing some large Victoria (red stalked)
rhubarb,
near San Francisco, CA, 2 miles down wind of the Pacific, in a
prevailing
breeze pattern. USDA zone is 9 or 10. Rain 20". Temps rarely hit 70F.
Soil well amended,with manure, preplanting. They must be 5 years old
now.

The stalks have always looked great and large, but been almost hollow,
or almost pithy and the acid quite low. These never die back and I have
not yet tried to grow them as annuals, forcing them, by using a fridge
for,
uh, say - 6 weeks???. They seem to grow and expand quite nicely. Some
crown softness can occur so I susoect adequate water, if somewhat
uneven, as I can be a laizze'faire (hands off) gardener.  Ideas?

TIA,
BillSF9c