[NAFEX] Apple Rootstock Rundown

jelie at new.rr.com jelie at new.rr.com
Fri Oct 22 16:03:27 EDT 2010

Hey All,

You have a good point Tim.  Bud-9 is growing in popularity in my area of Wisconsin but, but its anchoring ability is lacking.  I have been considering doing Bud-9 interstems on MM111/EMLA111.  It seems to be a a nice resolution of the dwarfing vs anchoring ability.  The only real problem that I see is the extra year spent doing the interstem/rootstock.  I hope to try it after all the good things I have read about it
This past spring, I grafted Bud-9 on Antonovka so I will hopefully get to see some results in the near future.  All of my scion wood grafted to Bud-9 root stocks took well but the Bud-9 interstem to Antonovka gave me only 50 percent take.  Trying the Antonovka was more of an experiment but I do plan on trying the MM111 in the future.  Does anyone know of any nurseries that sell the Bud-9 interstem/MM111?

Take Care,

Jim Elie
Green Bay, WI
zone 4/5