[NAFEX] true golden russet

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sat Oct 16 13:13:31 EDT 2010

That's interesting.  I buy both Golden Russet and Ashmeads Kernal around here (eastern MA) and I think of them as very different fruits.  Ashmeads is smaller, browner, less uniformly shaped and generally uglier as well as less productive.  It sometimes develops red cheeks under the russet, which somehow don't look very appealing.  It also is vastly superior in flavor.  I think of Golden Russet as a pleasant hard sweet apple, with nice flavor.  The ones I can buy are cosmetically nice, if you don't object to russeting.  It is something I buy a few of if they show up at the fruit stand.  In contrast, Ashmeads is my family's favorite apple, and we go to some trouble to get it.  It is intensely sweet, extremely tart, and has a nice apple flavor.  The aroma probably is similar to Golden Russet, although the overall experience of eating them is very different.  It's also a little harder and a lot crunchier than Golden Russet.  At least, that's my experience with the fruits available here.

Ginda