[NAFEX] Drought/sunscald?

david liezen chandos49 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 6 20:34:23 EDT 2010

Question to the list:

How best to help an apple tree recover from damage to the upper surface of its limbs?

 A Winesap a friend of mine acquired along with the recent purchase of a home has limbs 6-8" in diameter, all nearly horizontal in growth and each has bald wood from one to four feet in extent, and at worst involving a third of the circumference.

 I suspect overuse by climbers coupled with neglected irrigation (hot and sunny for 60-75 days in Spokane most summers) brought this on.

I thought it might be worthwhile to trim the loose bark and paint the exposed wood with white latex. I fear Tree Heal, being black, might not doo all that is needed.

Better ideas? Thanks,

         Dave, E. WA, z6