[NAFEX] Fresh woodchips are fine

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Thu Mar 25 10:51:36 EDT 2010

> Fresh wood chips as landscape cover is fine. But as an additive to
> enrich garden soil or soil for tree planting I'd submit they should be
> well rotted.

Would you want to use wood chips as a soil additive anyway? I'm
certainly no expert, but I thought I've heard they'd deplete the
nitrogen in the soil as they continued to rot. (As a layer on top,
they'd do the same, but only at the surface.)

Just wondering. I've been using a lot of wood chips for mulch (landscape
cover, as you say), but nothing else. For that matter, I only put leaves
and other plant debris on top of the soil, too, not mixed into it.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
Look, there has always been something like terror in the world;
anarchists, liberationists of various stripes, revolutionaries, and of