[NAFEX] Bagging apples and deer

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sun Jun 27 23:36:37 EDT 2010

On Jun 27, 2010, at 10:22 PM, Karen Kellogg wrote:

> Does putting a plastic baggie, or a nylon footie, on a growing apple discourage the deer from eating them?  I have some apples developing from some trees I have not yet tasted and I would like the opportunity to do so.
>
> Karen

Dunno about nylon footies, but deer seem perfectly happy to eat apples in ziplock plastic bags.  After the first couple, they learn to leave the bag behind.  I bagged apples two years ago, and early in the season I found chewed-up baggies.  Later on I found undamaged baggies on the ground.  I'm pretty sure I had a raccoon, too, as something ate _half_ and apple and then neatly closed up the bag when it was done!  But a lot more apples disappeared than could have been eaten by a raccoon, so I'm pretty sure it was mostly deer.

Ginda