[NAFEX] Early pear ID help?

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Thu Jun 24 17:38:25 EDT 2010

Donna, my understanding is that Tyson is just a few days earlier than
Bartlett.

Fruits of Ontario for 1906/1914 comments "too near the season of
Bartlett to be profitable for market."

It describes the fruit: "size medium; form acute pyriform; color green,
turning yellow when fully ripe, russet about basin, cheek crimson, dots
brown, numerous; stem 1 1/4 inches long more or less fleshy at base;
calyx open."

The book describes the sizes of Anjou, Bartlett, Bosc, and Howell as
"large;" Sheldon as "above medium."

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada