[NAFEX] Landscape fabric

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Sat Feb 27 09:51:35 EST 2010

MURPH said, "Red Plastic mulch under tomatoes. Without quoting the source,
as I forgot. The RED color does nothing, according to a side-by-side
experiment with black."

    My sentiments exactly...............Worthless.  My test compared
mulches, red, black and pine needles and pine needles worked.

    Heavy duty landscape fabric is FREE, if you know where to look.  I don't
know how they do it in other States but, here in Minnesota, the stuff is
called "silt fence" and road construction people are required to use it to
prevent dirt from spilling into environmentally sensitive areas.  When the
construction project is completed, they through the silt fence into the
dump.  Last year I asked a contractor for 100' of it and he gave me 500'+ so
he didn't have to pay for it to go to the dump.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: