[NAFEX] Pawpaw seedlings

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Mon Feb 8 21:42:43 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/8/2010 4:18:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dwoodard at becon.org writes:

> I recall a statement (possibly on this list) that insufficient moisture
> (less than lots) produces a requirement for shading of pawpaw seedlings
> in the first year or two.

There may be a definition problem here.  A first-year seedling originating
from a seed planted in the ground stands a much less chance of surviving the
sun then a one-year seedling with a good root system that is being
transplanted.
Aspiration doesn't seem to be the problem the first year from seed, rather
than oversensitivity to UV. The reason is unknown, or at least I've never
seen a good explanation for it.

Jerry