[NAFEX] Tall Asian pears

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 16:46:22 EST 2010

Asain pears can get quite tall if you want them to.  It is their early
fruiting that tends to dwarf them and removing the spur wood should keep up
the vigor.  Just try to find plants on betulifolia, unless you are where it
is quite warm and can use callyerana. .

Korean Giant  AKA Olympic (named for the fruit size) is quite vigorous and
the best Asian I grow here.  I routinely remove half the spur wood every
time I prune just so I don't have to do as much thinning and to help hold up
the quality by getting enough vegetative growth to feed the fruit.